Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 14, 2019, 02:24:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mercury Junior Mallard  (Read 3494 times)
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 04:47:37 AM »

a viable alternative to rubber powered models, which I have flown in mini vintage for ages and am a bit bored of

Adam

Did you notice Andrew Longhurst flying a Merlin powered Top Banana - and another diesel powered mini vintage model if I'm not mistaken? He has been talking about this for a while, but seeing is believing. I have a Merlin hiding somewhere, and a dieselised Medallion - both unrun by me. Given the interest, I suppose I ought to get to grips with some noisy smelly things. I'm sure Mrs T would be pleased if I added ether to the modelling smells in the house Roll Eyes

Peter
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 11:22:46 AM »

A DC Merlin in a contest model? You have got to be kidding!
They weren't even considered powerful enough for contest work when the came out in the 50's - surely someone hasn't gone and tuned one up?!?!

It's not the 1st of April, is it?

Gliders are a part of me.
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 11:56:06 AM »

John

No tuning as far as I know, and Hippo used to used a Merlin in a Helides and did pretty well. Andrew dropped one flight, but is a past master at picking good air! They go up a long way on 20 secs.

Peter
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2012, 04:54:23 PM »

Here's a pic of the Webra Piccolo that was in my Jnr. Mallard way back when.

This model is a Y-Bar.  Undecided at the moment if to use it or a DC Spitfire/Sabre.....They all have the same width radial mounting holes.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Mercury Junior Mallard
Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 278

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »

I would normally think that my interest in mini-vintage power was near to zero but it is amazing how sometimes a thread will come alive - this one certainly has!  So much interesting information so much excellent comment so many posts that take us all to the flying field together.  Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the feast.  I am really lookiing forward to more stories of which machine, and flyer, is going to be top dog in MV power in the near future.

John

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 05:37:08 PM »

John (Hepcat)

It's nice to hear from you again and I'm delighted you find this of some interest - but it's principally down to Adam's efforts. I've missed having a chat with you on one of the usual windswept 'dromes, and hope that you are keeping well.

Peter
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2012, 11:14:11 AM »

I am intrigued by this model, for some reason.
Does anyone know of a crafty spot where one can download the plan?

I have a Merlin (I am almost ashamed to admit), that I picked up at a car boot sale in Bristol in about 1990. It flew once on an Ebenezer...........

JB

Gliders are a part of me.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2012, 05:10:55 PM »

I am intrigued by this model, for some reason.
Does anyone know of a crafty spot where one can download the plan?

I have a Merlin (I am almost ashamed to admit), that I picked up at a car boot sale in Bristol in about 1990. It flew once on an Ebenezer...........

JB

I've searched a bit for it as well with a view to building another for the little Piccolo, but have had no joy. 
I hate trees
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2012, 11:10:58 AM »

I'm glad that this thread has been interesting.  It does seem that messing around with little vintage power models with cheap engines in has a lot to be said for it.  I am on a weeks leave next week, but when I'm back I'll scan the Mallard plan at work for those that want to have a look.

Pete is correct, Andrew Longhurst was flying a Top Banana and a Helides, both with Merlins.  I'm going to un freeze the old one I've got and run it up to compare with a PAW 80 and 55.

Incidently, Simon Dixon told me that he was going to write an article on Mini Vintage Power models for the new Aeromodeller.  He asked for a photo of the Mallard.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2012, 06:11:52 PM »

A scan would be good....thanks.

Would be a good little model for a Cox Pee Wee or TD.020, .5cc diesels, Dart etc. up to the Merlin or my Piccolo etc.

Perhaps we could do a build of it on the forum if we can get enough interested?Huh??
I hate trees
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2012, 03:24:48 PM »

Hi,
I have scanned the Junior Mallard plan but its too big to go on here as an attachment.  Anyone who wants a copy PM me your email and I'll send it on.  I scanned it on a series of A3 sheets as I didn't want to risk the embarrasement of being caught scanning a model plan in the large scanner/plotter at work.  Its easier to print out this way as well.
binbag
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2012, 07:00:10 AM »

Hi There;

can I put myself down for a copy of your scanned plan  - I have a very dodgy copy that I thought about building from, but its in a very poor way. As for the engine, I thought about a PAW up front and actually buying a new one! Hell, that's going to hurt.
Ralph
binbag
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2012, 02:51:05 PM »

Hi Adam

I meant to ask what you used as a fuel tank on your setup for the mallard
Cheers
Ralph
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2012, 10:37:54 PM »

An eye dropper is okay on a small FF model I find.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Mercury Junior Mallard
I hate trees
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2012, 03:00:29 AM »

Hi all,
The photo of my finished model back on Page 1 shows the tank set up, have a look.  Basically its a brass sheet tank on the opposite side of the engine bearers with the timer a bit further back for fuel cut off.  The engine bolts hold the tank in place.  I used a Texas Timers Micro timer, which are really good but you need something else for dt as well.

Ralph, if you want a copy of the scanned plan then pm me your email address.

Adam
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2014, 03:14:03 PM »

Well, I saw Adam's JM today at Luffenham and it went up like a Saturn V (once the PAW was running).  Very impressive. I've got a PAW55...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: