Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 18, 2020, 07:02:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Another Dixielander Version?  (Read 709 times)
mwj1045
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2011, 04:27:48 PM »

I wonder if anyone can help me with history and date of a version of the Dixielander I haven't seen before (not difficult). I have just acquired a plan of a Dixielander by Fuller Johnson Products. The significant differences for me are a swept back fin and autorudder. Does anyone know more about it and the date it was issued? I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Martin
Ployd
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 07:26:24 AM »

Hi Martin
Others will chime in here with further details but the original Dixielander was a variation of the Zoot Suit FAI power model and came out in 1954 (built up box fuselage, up right mounted engine, wind and stab per Dixielander dimensions and a rear swept fin.
The kit version was advertised in 1957 and had a new fuselage and rear fin (no A/R).
There is the John West version distinguished by the large amount of down thrust used the control the ST15 glow engine; also had a swept back fin and A/R.
Another variation used by George Fuller was the E type for an ETA 29 and that had a rear swept fin and A/R.
What you need to do is pin the plan to a wall or lay out flat on the floor and eake a photo of and post here then we may have a better chance of identifying it.

Ployd in OZ

"So I collect engines, what's your problem?"
mwj1045
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 02:45:29 PM »

Thanks for that. I fear a photo would show little as the drawing is now poor quality, I would redraw it to build. It is essentially identical with the original except for the fin and autorudder. The only additional info I can offer is that the plan refers to a G15, presumably Super Tigre and to the fuselage having a pen bladder tank bay.

Martin
hastf1b
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

Germany Germany

Winding my Tilka during the german chamionship `87

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 03:05:37 PM »

Hello Martin, here a plan modifyd by George Fuller.

And here a link. http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showthread.php/132043-50-Jahre-Dixielander-von-George-Fuller

Heinz
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Another Dixielander Version?

F1B is o.k.
Ployd
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 06:58:33 PM »

The only additional info I can offer is that the plan refers to a G15, presumably Super Tigre and to the fuselage having a pen bladder tank bay.

Looks like you have the John West version.

Ployd in OZ

"So I collect engines, what's your problem?"
mwj1045
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 03:48:03 AM »

Thank you gents for your input, much appreciated.

Regards

Martin
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 11:41:02 AM »

Johnson-Fuller was Dick Johnson and George Fuller and the plan referred to by Martin came out in the early 70's (those with a collection of Aeromodellers from that era can check out the ads. in the back). The plan is not the one provided by Heinz, though it is pretty similar.

I also have a copy. There are substantial differences in the engine bearer arragement to accomodate the bigger case of the G15, the original design being a bit hard to adapt to anything much different to an AM25 or 35! Strengthening of the wing would be very necessary for the much higher output of the G15. No thrustline off-sets, I don't think.

I don't recall how long they marketed this variant - not very long I suspect, as George took a break from modelling from the mid 70's to about the mid 80's (he ran a hotel for a while, amongst other things).

I don't want to pick at Ployds little summary, but the E Type Dixie had both VIT and A/R, had the span pushed up to 60" (for an ETA 29), but it had the original Dixie shape fin. It was published in FFn Dec. '69. Also John West's Dixie was for a Cox TD15, and had substantial right thrust, not down, no A/R, and a variation on rear fuselage structure. It was published in Model Aircraft in the mid 60's, but he had a Dixie lookalike published in FFn May '71 that had massive downthrust, a G15 and autorudder. The write-up on this latter model is quite amusing, too! Going to build one, Martin?

John

Gliders are a part of me.
mwj1045
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »

Thanks John. I doubt I will build it as the date of plan issue means that in the UK it is only useable in BMFA Power on  7 second run against some beasts. The original fits in the definition of a Classic model which is a popular and frequently flown class so I may just build one for an OS 15 or 19.

Martin
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 03:57:27 PM »

Good thinking, Martin, the world doesn't need any more Dixielanders (though don't tell George I said that!) - it needs more Gastoves.

John

Gliders are a part of me.
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 09:34:19 AM »

Is this any help Martin, the Cox .15 and ETA 29 versions,different pylon as well as fin.Big one would be nice with a OS19 and no vit/ar

Philip
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Another Dixielander Version?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 09:57:13 AM by Sandgroper » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: