Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 10, 2020, 01:33:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New power model. "kaos".  (Read 1527 times)
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: October 13, 2011, 11:49:16 PM »

Just been ask to put up some pics of the build of my new power model, that I have named "kaos".   I'm an 86 and 99 fan. Grin

Model was conceived in August this year.   It's very old style as such......very '70s/'80s with sheet wings and triple fins, but I'm comfortable with that style.  Afraid I'm lost on the latest CF machines, nice as they are.

Wing is 1/16 sheet top and bottom with spars and ribs inside.   Thinned Clark Y section, I guess best to describe it.  65in span with the dihedral/polyhedral built in gives it 455 squ. inches.  It's been doped with very thin dope and sanded finely several times then has 3/4 oz fiberglass cloth doped on.   Lettering and my AUS number cut from tissue and doped on along with the Rossi logo printed on tissue and doped on.  Later on will be coated with Polyester clear finish to waterproof and fuel proof.  Weighs about 190 grams at the moment.  Thanks Ployd for the fabulous wood.

Stabilizer is built up using carbon in the spar and trailing edge for strength, with spruce and balsa leading edge.  110 squ. inches.   Will have a little dihedral built in when completed and Polyspan covered.  Should weigh about 36/37 grams with the end fins fitted.

Fuselage as yet to be started.  Shall be balsa constructed, and rear fin will have auto rudder and VIT (Variable incidence tailplane) lever built into the rear that also controls DT function.   Being worked by a 4 function Seelig timer.

Rossi 15 Normale power in an alloy pan, running on hard tank pressure, flood off and brake to stop it.

That's about it folks at the moment.   More when more progress.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
New power model. "kaos".
New power model. "kaos".
New power model. "kaos".
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 06:55:27 PM »

Have been slowly beavering away on "kaos" the past few weeks.

Have stabilizer almost done with fins attached.  Has been covered with Polyspan, shrunk with my wife's iron and doped twice.   Fins covered with Esaki Lite.

Fuselage well on the way, but still lots of fiddly stuff to do.

At this stage it should be just about finished next month, and with a bit of luck in the air before Christmas.
Re: New power model. "kaos".
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 99

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 09:23:22 AM »

That's going to be a nice airplane. Very clean building as usual...
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 08:52:41 PM »

Thanks Josh.  I enjoy building slowly at my own pace, and flying too of course.

Did you ever do anything with that Dooling 29 you had?
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 11:03:16 PM »

It's still underway.   Painting the fuselage next......waiting on the VHT enamel in white.   Hook up the lines.   Screw on the mount.  Engine in and it'll be close.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 05:47:42 PM »

It just got painted.  Assembly next, hook up timer to front and rear using Laystrate, and then a pic or two next week.   Guess ya can hardly wait.  LOL.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 01:28:38 PM »

Darn right, Howard, I can't wait - nice going so far - very classic!
There were lots of triple finners at one time, but only 1 ever emerged from the Buskell workshop. Although spectacularly fast, it didn't meet expectations (or a happy ending, for that matter). I always liked the look, though.

Winter moves in for the northern hemispere, while Howard anticipates getting out into the sun in the southern. Surely Scottl0413 will be bringing us news of his latest power models, too.
As I try and fund a return to F1C, I have been cleaning out some older engines for sale, machining a few bits and pieces for the incomplete ones.
I'll be posting some ads. soon but I'll be looking to shift 3 Super Tigre G15s and a Cox Conquest/Rossi hybrid (if anyone's interested).
John

Gliders are a part of me.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 09:40:39 PM »

Just about ready to fly......if and when the rain and wind stops.   Guess the pics tell the story.
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 09:17:51 AM »

Howard, absolutely gorgeous airplane!!!!! Your open pwr. competitors are in real trouble now Wink!

Scott
Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 69

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 11:25:43 AM »

Very nice!
Reminds me of my very first F1C I built in 1980 (I was 16 or 17 at the time). Made my first Canadian team with a model like that. It was a nice steady flyer that flew well and had no bad habits.

Tony

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 04:13:46 PM »

Thanks guys.
 "T", your right.  These things are very stable and good to fly.  I've have #one here that goes back to 1979/1980.......has been probably flown hundreds of times.  It did get a new set of wings and stab. in the mid '90s as the originals were dinged and worn out from arriving as FF models do.  #2 was built in mid '90s and is stable, so was time for a #3.
They are of course useless for F1C.......they don't like 5 second engine run but are okay on 10 for our Open Power.
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 04:22:43 AM »

Very nice Gossie,
dihedral on tailplanes always make em look faster and jet like to me.made me rush out and fit the Rossi to an old mount,only problem is the thing is drilled for a Super Tiger and the mounting feet are too short for the Rossi as well, looks like magnesium although not overly light. the Rossi is a combat job and I don`t have a brake or spinner.Bought  the Rossi years ago but the direction F1C took made it obsolete before I got around to making anything for it.I have a plan for the Buck 600 which is a similar layout for  A/B power,would be fine for a Rossi in Open power I can print it a little smaller if  600 sq is too big for a Rossi.Is that a Supercool prop?

Phil
adamescu
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Czech Republic Czech Republic

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 02:27:02 PM »

Beautiful work as always Gossie
...very nice Wink
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 02:34:13 PM »

Howard, How did you finish your fus.? What did you use for Hot fuel proofing?

Scott
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 03:35:39 PM »

'Groper', yes it is one of Stuarts props.   I was using his copy in 'glass of a Chinese one he did a few years ago, but recently got a batch of his new shape carbon ones.  They seem to work well too......but don't tell everybody. LOL.

Scott, the white finish on the fuselage is VHT high temperature rattle can paint made in the USA for painting full size engines.   It's a bit tricky to use though.   You need to blow 2 or 3 light coats on about 10 minutes apart and let it sit in plenty of warmth for 7 days, then give it another go over if need be.   It's totally fuel proof even against nitro.   I did give it a light polish with auto polish just to finish it off.  Hope that helps.
Ployd
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 04:28:29 PM »

Hi Gossie

A well executed job and up to your usual high standard, maybe we will see it at Narrandera?

Scott; VTH paint is used quite a bit in OZ on Vintage class "A" and "B" team race models and as Howard has said it is a bit tricky to use as you need hot weather (+30C or close to 100F) for any length of time between 7 and 14 days and it can take up to 2 months for it to cure completely. That said it is hot fuel proof and you do have a limited choice of colours.

Phil; I have the plan of the Buck 600 and feel It may be a bit big for the Rossi 15 (a 21 would be better or a reworked OS 25 FP on pressure).

Ployd in OZ

"So I collect engines, what's your problem?"
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 06:50:08 PM »

Agree, 600 squares is probably a bit big for a Rossi 15.   This model is about 450 square inches.

Narrendera.  Nice thought Pete, but I don't think I could stand the 60k out to the field every morning then back again at night to a motel.   If it rains it's all boggy too so I believe.   Guess I'm either getting soft or too particular?Huh?
Springhurst to me for NSW and VIC Nats to me is ideal.   Chiltern a 10 minute drive to the field, plus the great motel and 5 star restaurant at the pub an 8 minute walk from the motel suits me fine for a few beers and a really classy meal. 
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 08:08:14 PM »

Thanks guys,yep the Buck 600 at 100% scale has an area of 640 sqin and 72 in span?-the 6inch scale on the drawing measures 6inch so this should be correct .At 80% scale  it`s 57.5in span and 394 sq in and looks just right for a .15 ,I got the plan off ebay in  PDF and Jpeg and can print it any size on my printer on A4 and stick the sheets together with tape or gluesticks.
A vintage F1C would be nice  -do you build them to 27oz or as light as you can?

Phil
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 09:54:52 PM »

The Vintage F1Cs as far as I'm concerned in OZ can be built to any weight you wish to, as we have no Vintage F1C as such......Only Vintage Power as in the MAAA rules book, and they can be whatever you can get them down to surely.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 01:33:24 PM »

If you guys 'down-under' ever embrace Vintage FAI Power per the www.faipower.com website then you'll need to stick to the FAI weight pertaining to whatever a/c you build.

Looking good, Howard - as it's an Open model, is it a little smaller than an FAI model?

I remember Ken Faux campaigning a smallish 25 oz. rear fin model in open with a piped Rossi 15, that had an unbelievably fast climb - he didn't win many contests with it, as it didn't glide like some of the big light '40' models, but it was quite a rush watching it go up!

John

gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 04:30:42 PM »

FAI Power Nos. as per the USA would be great, but I can't see it happening any time soon here.

This new thing of mine is 455 squ. in. plus the tail is 26% so it's about as I built them in the 70s.   It is aimed at Open Power on our 10 seconds run so hope it goes okay.  It's just on 800 grams by the way.   
Ken's model sounds wild........guess I could do that with piped Rossi too.   Is Ken still about?   Remember a huge night we had before the 83 W.C.  Still getting over it.
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 06:45:01 PM »

Gossie ,I am sure we could fly to US Nos rules if we hold a special event such as the George Fuller day.

I was lucky on the weekend and scored a lightly used F1C Seelig which is a great help if I get a Vintage F1C under way.I have some CS 100 silicon shock oil in the post,I will see if it is light enought for timers and it claims to be temperature stable.

I wonder if www.faipower.com would be interested in hosting a postal type event?

Phil
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 07:49:56 PM »

28 years - that's quite a hangover, and certainly the same Ken Faux!
Stafford Screen and Ken both campaigned piped Rossi 15 open models. Staffords were a bit bigger, glided better as a consequence, and being Stafford, of course, he won quite a bit with his.

Ken's model had 'spectator appeal' though, that's for certain.  Cheesy I don't think I've ever seen a faster f/f power model, in fact - and I've seen nearly all the good guys fly at some point or other.

I think Ken may have taken a bit of a break from flying (for whatever reason), but I have seen his name in the results again more recently.

John

gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 09:02:24 PM »

I have that FAI power site in my favorites 'groper.   I have models here that would do the job.  Eliminator with a Webra Rekord, Swiss Miss with a Greenhead 19 in it, but it originally had a GH 15 in it, so could be made legal.  Also an F1C I built in '79/'80 with a Rossi in it that was used on the 7 second days.  Now used for Open Power on 10 seconds.

JB, Stafford was at the session as well.  A group of us got involved for hours.  It was a very good time and they were very good days at that time of life.

Mmmmmm, well now if I could pick up a piped piston and liner, crankshaft and the pipe of course to stick into a Normale I guess I'd be ready to "rock & roll.   
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2011, 02:26:37 AM »

The Uctkam -MDS 15 was a pretty good poor mans Rossi for the price and many parts will interchange.I have one with pipe doing nothing- cowl it,paint the head black and no one would know .
The Cathexis takes my fancy with the slab style fuz  it shouldn`t take long to knock one up .
Phil
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: