Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 20, 2020, 08:50:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New power model. "kaos".  (Read 1531 times)
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 10:23:20 PM »

I knocked up this turbo plug head for a Rossi 15 yesterday,it was made using an Axial 32 car head as a blank so the hemi is a little deeper than desired and the squishband is a little narrower than perfect but I was restricted by the original sizes.It is close in chamber capacity to a Cox insert and is 0.05mm bigger although not as snug  a fit in the liner as I would of liked.
I will not be getting to test this for quite a while so if someone is using a Rossi in the near future? i will make this one available for assesment with a P4 plug which is fine for 80/20 fuel.PM for details please
2 advantages with the turbo plug are you can use a normal clip on glow starter and  std glowplug spanner .

Phil
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: New power model. "kaos".
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 12:13:29 AM »

Clever stuff 'groper.  Your far too technical for me though.  I think I better just keep using the #2s I have in stock.

To be truthful, I don't really know of too many using Rossi 15s so much anymore.  Pity really as they are such a lovely motor.
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2011, 02:09:22 AM »

Basic stuff really,I take shortcuts by getting heads that can be remachined to what I need and I can avoid the tricky bits, I have a few OS masters I can copy.
I don`t have a genuine Rossi head so I based this on the Cox.
Terrific sound,last time I heard a Rossi was a couple of years ago and it was Supercool with a old style model at Meckering,most exciting was watching Kiwi ex F1C flier Matt Pickin steering a RC 2cc class Playboy Snr with a Rossi 15 on a 25 sec run-he was working  hard to keep it straight .

Phil
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2011, 11:51:02 AM »

So that Turbo-plugged head, then Phil, has as concave combustion chamber shape with a wide squish band, rather than a trumpet (convex) shape with a narrow squish band, like a (say) Rossi no.2 head??

Why would anyone put a Rossi in a Playboy Snr? That just shouldn't be allowed...............

Gliders are a part of me.
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »

Why would anyone put a Rossi in a Playboy Snr? That just shouldn't be allowed...............

Because he could.  Grin
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 04:18:56 PM by Ratz » Logged
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2011, 08:57:12 PM »

Thats correct John,the Rossi and the Cox head must be alike,the chamber OS use now is based on the FSR  V spec racing heads from the 80s just cleaned up with the turbo plug,the angled squish band offsets detonation and the hemi head performs well.I will attempt to make a turbo head to suit the Rossi from scratch to get the correct dimensions.The OS 15 CV-R Turbo has a wider squish band and smaller chamber than mine but is not able to be modified to Rossi dimensions.
Nova Rossi make a turbo plug head insert for their current 15 but say only to use Rossi turbo plugs,they also have a nice NV assmembly,headshims etc.

http://www.planethobby.com/product.php?productid=526

I will be happy to send you the one I made up to compare with your heads if you like?
here is a link to a good article by Glenn Lee on two strokes, when I look at the original 4 port Schnuerle design I see a TeeDee do you?,I have the original mag article then found this.

http://airplanesandrockets.com/motors/inside-the-two-cycle-engine-feb-1968-aam.htm

Not up on my Playboys but it was the aprox 48 inch span ship covered in film, flying in a unsuccessful anything goes radio control class.

Phil

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 09:11:09 PM by Sandgroper » Logged
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2011, 12:02:11 AM »

This might be the trick for a Rossi 15,not sure on bore size?,Rossi turbo plugs are around $5
I suppose these new shapes are a combination of the cone and the squish?-Glenn makes a point on angled squish faces in the article and says around three degrees is ok, these are more like 8 to 10deg

http://www.planethobby.com/product.php?productid=591

Phil
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 12:30:18 AM by Sandgroper » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: