Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 09, 2019, 06:24:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Power models.  (Read 16546 times)
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2008, 07:12:55 AM »

50s 'FIC' models.
SWISS MISS from 1954.
The black and white photo is of my first one built in 1955 with Elfin 2.5cc beam mount power.
It got caught up in high tension wires at a comp. in Melbourne Australia. Blew down undamaged after a while.
I had some success with this model as a teenager until it flew away and was recovered two weeks later 14 miles away, having been trampled by cattle. Engine was okay though.
I built a second one using an Oliver Tiger MK3 and also won and placed with it----still have the trophies.

The third one was built in 1996 using a K&B15 Greenhead as was the second place getter at the 1954 World Champs at Long Island USA.
This one flies well but was a bit too docile so I have fitted it now with a Greenhead 19 for more go. Frog 500s were also used in them for open power competition.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Power models.
Power models.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 07:21:47 AM »

These two F1Cs go back to the 80s and were based on the Thomas Koster models.
They have had hours of flying without crashing, but they have had a couple of sets of wings and stabs.
Rossi 15 power. Both engines tuned per Peter Buskell's articles. They turn 28+ on the ground.
Not used for F1C anymore. They can't cope with a 5 second run, but are good for Open Power on 10 seconds.

PS. Does anybody know how Thomas is? He was very unwell some time ago and I have heard nothing since.
Re: Power models.
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 71

Canada Canada

MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 08:12:45 AM »

Hi gossie,

Who is your big reliable friend, your recovery crew? That's a funny picture, thanks for making me laugh.

Sundance12

Resources and tools for scratch builders and plans builders.
www.northof49tech.com
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 04:11:05 PM »

Hi gossie,

Who is your big reliable friend, your recovery crew? That's a funny picture, thanks for making me laugh.

Sundance12

LOL. Was a 'photo shop' done by one of the guys here because they all know how much I hate it when cattle are about on a field.  Truth also is I don't even eat the stuff. Have never liked it from my childhood days.
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 05:23:04 PM »

Truth also is I don't even eat the stuff. Have never liked it from my childhood days.

Ooooh, goody! More for me ... 'bloody' rare .... Mmmmm
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 97

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 09:26:40 PM »

...because they all know how much I hate it when cattle are about on a field.

Agreed there! Especially ones like that Brahma--they have something disconnected upstairs and are extremely unpredictable. (sez he from personal experience)
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 02:47:12 AM »

For what it's worth we have had those Brahma things wander up to us, and I HATE it.
A few years ago when playing with a model on the ground lost in my own thoughts, and on my own on a field well north of here, 2 of those things snuck up behind me, and I truly almost dropped dead when I saw them about 3 feet away from my backside.

Jim, please eat as many as you can----maybe you can eat them out of existence.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 06:28:14 AM »

This one is 'SORCERER' an Aussie designed model by Geoff Pentland from 1952.
It's rather large at 54in span for a 1.5cc diesel as specified,by I have found by building in 'lightness' the Webra Rekord pulls it up very high on 10 seconds.
At about 11oz it's a real floater on the glide too.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 06:56:54 PM »

A few days of illness and I am recuperating with some loooooong overdue time in the model room. I have dusted off the Night Train Vintage FAI power model that I have had underway for a very long time.

Here's a couple of snaps, one of the airframe and one of the engine - that's a Maibach Pipe on a self tuned G15 which I have also made a piston for on the lathe. This is not an easy job for a novice machinist, and I worked on the fits for ages (seemingly). Unfortunately, it's now borderline too loose - but at least it's fast!

Gauging the fit is a matter for the experienced, and I started with none.
John

Gliders are a part of me.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 07:52:17 PM »

Good to see a bit of movement here.
NIGHT TRAIN is beautiful----it's looks to be finished? Or close?
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 08:24:12 PM »

NIGHT TRAIN is beautiful

A nice design. I remember ... waaay back ... George French dethermalising one very neatly into an empty coal wagon, part of a train speeding by. Could anything be much more frustrating?
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

United States United States

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 10:40:02 PM »

Borderline too loose, just where they run the very best. Right up until you can't get them to start anymore!

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 11:35:05 PM »

Another Vintage FAI model: This one was started this year - a George Fuller Trad Lad.

Amongst the bits and pieces I retrieved when my Dad died was an FAI front fuselage from about the early 80's - engine mount, tank, timer mount and pylon. Not having anything more appropriate I grafted it onto the Trad Lad rear fuselage (which is very much Dixielander construction).

I'm dithering about an engine for this one - I have enough bits to put together a full Maibach piped Super Tigre - very appropriate, as some of the parts came from George Fuller himself. I also have an ex-Jay Krell tuned G15, which is VERY fast - 'loaned' by my old friend in the UK, Mike Wills - either could equally well go in the Night Train.

A picture for ployd - this is how big an auto-rudder should be Wink

John

gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 11:53:45 PM »

It gets foggy and cold in OZ at times in parts.
This was the Nats in July, our winter at Richmond a bit north of Sydney.
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 11:28:34 AM »

Grin Here's one especially for Gossie

(Port Meadow near Oxford in merry old England, where locals can graze cattle and horses because it's common land - makes for some 'interesting moments' when flying there) Wink

(Models are an Inchworm and 36D an O/D F1H glider for those interested)

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 03:41:28 PM »

I know it's hard to believe, but it can get foggy and cold in the UK, too.
This picture was taken back in 1986 at Beaulieu on the south coast of England, and although it doesn't show, a sea mist was coming in. Next flight the model disappeared at the top of the climb. Fortunately it was a calm day, as I walked downwind the model dropped out of the cloud on DT 3 minutes later, only 50' from where I was standing.

Later, I timed Pete Williams in the glider fly-off, and the sea mist really rolled in. Moments after he towed up in seemingly OK visibility, his model disappeared at the top of the line - that's only 50 metres of visibility, and a minute or 2 after that it was down to 50' visibility - not good for flying, or even finding one's way off the field.

My model is 25 years old this year, and I still have it. I'll see if I can't get it out for old times sake!

John

applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »

That was Beaulieu Huh?? Wow .... I only got there once, in 1958, and it was a nice field; from which I drove away leaving two power wings on the ground and only missed the when I got home in Enfield. A couple months later some person unknown left them at the door while I was at work .. of course I'd replaced them by then ....

Ashdown Forest was rough like that .. about same time period.
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 04:30:08 AM »

I wish Beaulieu was like that now. The gorse is now so high in places that you time down to the "gorse level" which loses you 10-20 secs on each flight - unless of course you get some good air & DT high up. Finding the model is also another problem. From time to time, the New Forest rangers burn down the gorse, which leaves 6 foot high charred stumps, ideal for impaling wings etc!

Can't complain too much though, at least we still have it as a flying site. Now to gird up my loins for the area comp this weekend.

Peter
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 10:23:22 AM »

wish Beaulieu was like that now.

It was just a good grass airfield then..... a pity it's gone back to nature...

Now to gird up my loins for the area comp this weekend.

An act I'd prefer not to visualise ....
 Cheesy

thinks: I wish we HAD area comps ... ANY comps ...
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 04:14:09 PM »

Grass fields, Area contests - I remember those - and I'm with you Jim, I wish we had them here.

Just to prove the weather in England can be cheerful, here's another shot of me launching at an Area contest in about 1990 - at Merryfield, near Taunton (South West England). This was No.4, the best of my 6 F1C models (it's not the model I'm launching at Beaulieu - that was No.5). I still have most of it - the wing didn't survive, sadly. I put hundreds of flights on that model.
What's not so obvious in this picture is the wind - it was blowing about 20 knots, and the chase for a max was, shall we say, quite long!
JB

gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 11:41:53 PM »

Good to see some launch action shots here.
Here's one taken at our '88-'89 OZ Nats of the first Playboy Snr. I built for our OZ Vintage.
Fox29 power. It maxed out and got second in the flyoff.
Got lost in 1995 when I missed turning on the Seelig at launch. That's why I had to build the 2nd one.
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 12:55:56 AM »

This pic has been around before, I think ... Geneseo, a few years ago - well over 90 degrees, light winds - "Applehoney 420" with ST G15 about to climb OOS with a stuck timer. It was seen by farmworkers dropping on d/t by the roadside maybe 3/4 mile away, but never found. Presumed stolen.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 11:32:47 PM »

On the subject of G15's.............

Spring has finally sprung in the Fraser Valley, and a modellers fancy obviously turns to getting out flying; so I did Grin

Here is my G15 powered Trad Lad Vintage FAI Power model which is just finished, and by just finished I mean JUST finished. I didn't fire the engine, I just test glided - but hey, you have got to start somewhere. Super Tigre G15 with pipe - as flown by George Fuller in the '69 World Champs in Austria.

There are a few non-original details in this model. The original had a simple bulkhead engine mount and a Seelig timer, and as you can see mine doesn't. Surely close enough, though.

I just need to dig out the straight fuel and charge the battery.

John

p.s. hope this one doesn't meet the same end as Jim's

Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2009, 11:58:01 PM »

Jim,
Didn't you have a model go OOS on power at Borden years ago, only to come down not far from where you launched it?
I'm feeling a sense of Deja Vu here....

Tony
-Maybe Jim needs to clean his timers more than once a decade.. Wink

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 12:16:43 AM »

...needs to clean his timers more than once a decade.. Wink

Huh Huh You're supposed to CLEAN them Huh Huh

No, Tony, I have not managed that feat at Borden. The only model I ever regained from completely overhead was an A/1 glider on d/t at Topcliffe, England decades ago which specked out and vanished into the blue - about 20 minutes later one of my colleagues drew my attention to it dropping to earth maybe a quarter mile away. We don't get many days like that, do we.... ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: