Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 15, 2019, 11:46:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Power models.  (Read 16556 times)
WJJ
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: July 12, 2014, 12:33:32 AM »

Hi Gossie .
 Yes I agree with you about the use of one of these old birds for Open power with the 10 second motor run and that is exactly what it will be used for . The one in your photo looks great and is very much like the one I have .  Mine is one that a friend used many years ago in the World Champs in the USA.  Old as it is, it still gets up there ok with the old Rossi up front, or it did so before I planted it.  What are your thoughts on the flat bottom wing for glide performance .
William
WJJ
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: July 12, 2014, 12:59:53 AM »

Glidermaster .....
Thanks for the advice .   I am a little daunted by the thought of building a sheet covered wing with under camber otherwise I would make the wings like the old ones because the pylon is shaped to fair into the under cambered wing .If i decide to go to flat bottom I will need to change the pylon a bit to suit .  I guess that a jig would be needed to build the lower under cambered surface and the wings are tapered as well . A flat bottom would only need a flat surface to build on  . Do you think that a foil cover would be need on an under cambered wing  .The wings span 78 ins.so not high aspect ratio .
William
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: July 12, 2014, 01:00:26 AM »

Hi Gossie .
 Yes I agree with you about the use of one of these old birds for Open power with the 10 second motor run and that is exactly what it will be used for . The one in your photo looks great and is very much like the one I have .  Mine is one that a friend used many years ago in the World Champs in the USA.  Old as it is, it still gets up there ok with the old Rossi up front, or it did so before I planted it.  What are your thoughts on the flat bottom wing for glide performance .
William

I guess your model is one of Nashy's old ones?   If so they were all good fliers and he is a good trimmer and thermal hunter pre. launch.   We have had battles in both F1C and Open Power since the 1977 Nats. and we have both won and lost a few comps over many years.

I guess a flat bottom wing should not be as good as an undercambered one, but on balance with ease of building and for Open Power use, plus careful launching with lift or at least neutral air I don't think either way matters.
This old thing here in the pic was built over 20 years ago, has a good Rossi on the nose and has won and place plenty of times..........The last time it won was the Open Power at the Nats in Narrendera in 2013......I never flew Open Power at the last Nats a few months ago, as I had stuck my thumb into a Webra on Oz Diesel day and could not hold a model.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Power models.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: July 12, 2014, 01:55:41 AM »

Just a thought Bill.   How do you intend to finish your wing?

FWIW I give mine a couple of coats of thin dope to fill the pores in the balsa, then dope on 3/4 ounce 'glass cloth top and bottom, then a coat of fuel proof........That makes the wings pretty rigid.
WJJ
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: July 12, 2014, 07:00:45 AM »

Hi Howard .
I have not given thought to the finish as yet but your idea of glass doped on sounds good and easy as well . Maybe I could use epoxy to stick it on .
I like your last photo with your friend looking on .The background looks very familiar but you could use your jet ski on it now .
Nice to talk with you again and thank you for the help .
William.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: July 12, 2014, 05:49:45 PM »

I have used thinned epoxy in the past Bill, but it's much heavier that using dope that seems to work the same......Your choice though.

That pic with my 'friends' is a photo shop job done by Malcolm because he knows how much I enjoy NOT, the company of animals on the flying field.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: July 25, 2014, 11:29:42 AM »

I haven't got much building done this year, but I did refurbish this old 1/2A built in the UK back in about 1986.

The paint was going soft, the pressure line was hooked to the stock front housing nipple on the TD, and the nose profile was a bit of a mess. I have addressed all those concerns,  recovered the tail, and rehashed the landing skid a bit.
I was actually going to put the model in the bin after the Oregon contest last August, but a bit of refurbishment seemed a better option. It's old, but this model has had little flying. Until I dragged it out in late 2012, I hadn't flown it since 1992!

JB

Gliders are a part of me.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: July 25, 2014, 05:39:03 PM »

I'm with you JB.......It's nice to rehash them now and then and keep them flying.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: August 10, 2014, 07:26:31 PM »

A couple of new power models ready for testing in the Fraser Valley, from my buddy Nigel.

Solar and Altair, Holland Hornet and ST G20/23 respectively.

glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: August 10, 2014, 07:32:16 PM »

.....and how about a couple more, from the same work shop.
Excelsior (K&B 29), and (this is a pretty one) Solitaire (Tee Dee).

adamescu
Bronze Member

Czech Republic Czech Republic

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: August 11, 2014, 06:05:57 AM »

Very nice looking fleet, John

a.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: August 11, 2014, 12:26:39 PM »

Nigel's just posted pictures of his own - we should coordinate more!

He does build a very nice model - very nice indeed.
He's got a few more on the way, too!

Note that phrase .....a few......

glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: August 23, 2014, 12:34:32 AM »

I am in a sun-drenched Oregon for the NW f/f champs, super weather so far (actually a bit hot for this displace Englishman!).
Here are Nigel Tarvin and Greg Davis with their Hal Cover designs Altair and Blue Flame respectively, with Nigel's own-design 1/2A on the ground in front.

gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: August 23, 2014, 04:05:48 AM »

Your making me jealous JB.    It's very very cold here, and has been raining for two days.   Have a great time.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: December 03, 2014, 11:33:30 AM »

As many will know a large body of photographs taken by Tom Hutchison has been made accessible on the web, and a large portion are of power models.
Here are just a couple that I liked, the first is my Dad and Ray Monks at the 1971 World Champs, and the 2nd is my buddy Bruce Hannah with a very smart looking model (doubtless an own-design).

John

JohnOSullivan
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: December 03, 2014, 12:06:56 PM »

The photo of your father and Ray Monks has brought back fond memories of meeting them at the British Nationals from the 60's and 70's. It's hard to believe that it was 43 years ago that this picture was taken
They were indeed the heyday of real Free Flight Power duration.

John O'Sullivan
MAAC 5401
MACI 26
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: December 03, 2014, 04:05:01 PM »

A great lot of pictures as you say JB.
Also, did you see your Dad's 1953 power model plan in the December Clarion?
Ployd
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: December 03, 2014, 05:35:46 PM »

Here's the link if you want to view the pics.

http://www.picturejoe.com/tom-hutchison-picture-gallery/

Ployd in OZ

"So I collect engines, what's your problem?"
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: December 03, 2014, 08:43:09 PM »

John, back then every one built there own model and designed them too.I can't belive I had that much hair.  Bruce
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: December 04, 2014, 10:41:13 AM »

Hi Howard, yes I did see the Clarion piece, John Thompson and I correspond, and he had told me he was building it. I'm glad he didn't copy the engine mount detailed in the Zaic Yearbook!

The picture of my Dad made me remember how hard he worked when he got that team place. The trials had been hard on his fleet, and he did a lot of modeling to build it back up. His models all had Super Tigres and the '71 champs was where the Rossi came on the scene!

Bruce, I was hoping you'd give us some memories of the model, not your hair line  Cheesy

John

Kurt
Silver Member

Brazil Brazil

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: December 04, 2014, 12:21:06 PM »

Gossie,
I am sure you never thought that your topic would have such a tremendous success. As we are talking now about fotos of the Golden times, for me specially the 50ties, here comes my contribution about the FAI class I (motors up to 2,5 ccm)and II (motors larger than 2,5 ccm) competitions in Germany (I was still a schoolboy then):

first Picture: V51, a Karl Barth design with WEBRA 2,5 ccm, my first competition model FAI class I

second Picture: the late Alfred Kiesel, leader of our Goeppingen Club with his FAI class II model, I think with a gas engine Kratmo 10

third Picture: my design FAI class I with a WEBRA 1,5 ccm made for the South german championships, maybe the smallest FAI class I model you have ever seen (aprox. 1 meter span), it was intended as a "Space rocket" gliding properties neglected. It could not start at the competition, because a competitor stepped "by chance" on the stabilizer. It was repaired in the club and it was said to have had a reasonable success in subsequent competitions.

fourth Picture: FAI event in Duesseldorf (I always with the stop watch)

fifth Picture: some of the FAI class I models in Duesseldorf

sixth Picture: taking the time of a buddys model.

Greetings to all from Rio
Kurt
Kurt
Silver Member

Brazil Brazil

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: December 04, 2014, 12:35:08 PM »

Gossie,
I am sure you never thought that your topic would have such a tremendous success. As we are talking now about fotos of the Golden times, for me specially the 50ties, here comes my contribution about the FAI class I (motors up to 2,5 ccm)and II (motors larger than 2,5 ccm) competitions in Germany (I was still a schoolboy then):

first Picture: V51, a Karl Barth design with WEBRA 2,5 ccm, my first competition model FAI class I

second Picture: the late Alfred Kiesel, leader of our Goeppingen Club with his FAI class II model, I think with a gas engine Kratmo 10

third Picture: my design FAI class I with a WEBRA 1,5 ccm made for the South german championships, maybe the smallest FAI class I model you have ever seen (aprox. 1 meter span), it was intended as a "Space rocket" gliding properties neglected. It could not start at the competition, because a competitor stepped "by chance" on the stabilizer. It was repaired in the club and it was said to have had a reasonable success in subsequent competitions.

fourth Picture: FAI event in Duesseldorf (I always with the stop watch)

fifth Picture: some of the FAI class I models in Duesseldorf

sixth Picture: taking the time of a buddys model.

Greetings to all from Rio
Kurt

I have to make one addition: my buddys name on the Duesseldorf pictures was Ewald Zimmermann, I think he is no more between us.

Second addition: did you note that I was wearing a neck tie?? elegant times!!

Kurt
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: December 04, 2014, 03:36:29 PM »

OK John,That model had a 80" wing span,7.25 % flat bottom wing, was the first on the west coast to have a full engine cowl and a timer switch to start the timer at launch.The year was 1978 finals and I was doing well (tied for the lead) untill the third day(21 flights to pick the team) when the glide screw came loose and stalled to the ground.Was a very good model  flew it for a number of years.
WJJ
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: March 27, 2015, 01:29:40 AM »

Hi All
Need help in finding a Side Exhaust Nelson15 motor.  In running condition.  Suitable for an older F1C.
Must be side exhaust to suit an existing model.
They seem to be hard to find.
Hope somebody can help me.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: March 27, 2015, 11:10:45 PM »

Probably best to ask on SEN Bill, or even FFDU.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: