Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 11, 2020, 08:06:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Comet Porterfield 65  (Read 1121 times)
TJH
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

United States United States

Topic starter
TIme to unwind!

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2011, 12:34:22 PM »

Here is a cool kit that I originally built back in the '70's. This was an easy to build kit and flew well. I was lucky enough to get another one a few years back. I have attached several photos.

Tim

The plan has been added to the Plan Gallery.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Comet Porterfield 65
Comet Porterfield 65
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 01:45:41 PM by Ratz » Logged
javman
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 08:35:21 PM »

thanks for posting this cool little bird. this was the one they used  in the "how to fly your model" instructions i remember getting with every comet kit. never could find this kit. thank you very, very much for sharing your model and especially for uploading the plans. this will be a cool addition to the comet cookup! Grin a definite gotta build. btw, how's that prop work for you? i built the curtiss robin ffrom the same series with that prop and it was pretty bad.

Recreating history, one re-kitted airplane at a time.
TJH
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Topic starter
TIme to unwind!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 07:53:35 AM »

Hello javman,
the prop was stock and it looks good on the plane however does not power the plane very well. I built this one all original, petrified balsa and all! This one was like re-uniting with an old friend from my childhood.

I plan to eventually build another one and probably use a Peck or Easy-Built 5" prop for some better flying. I am working on a Sterling Citabria scratch build now and will make a few of those for some friends that own the full size versions.

Tim
Jorge F
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Mexico Mexico

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 12:50:15 PM »

Hello Tim,

Thank you very much for sharing your Porterfield.
I build one or two some 50 years ago, but I didn´t quite succeded to fly it.   I agree that it could be some bad construction issues from my part, but also the scale like propeller provided in the kit that didn´t produced much thrust.
I have some fine reminiscences from this model thou.

Best regards,

Jorge
C/L Gee Bee
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 06:30:04 PM »

Hi, Tim...
I too built the Comet Porterfield 60 years ago (!) I was inspired by a magazine article I had read about a Porterfield 'Collegiate'.

The Comet Porterfield has such perfect dimensions for a high wing airplane that it's a natural for a model...an older gent helped me with fledgling flights, recall the prop was the Main Culprit!

Thanks for publishing the pics, great example of the Comet offering...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: