Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 23, 2019, 04:25:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Karlstrom Cessna 140  (Read 1014 times)
javman
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 10, 2011, 09:54:52 PM »

Hello all, decided to try building this sweet looking Cessna, just the right size for building in a small barracks room, like my litttle Comet Stinson 105. A little daunted at first by the instruction"s language, (Swedish, I think?) I an however a firm beieiver in our universal language, model building and our dialect, free flight rubber, so i'm confident she'll build into a nice bird just fine. anyone build this plane? buildnotes and any flight reports would be most appreciated....Thanks all in advance! Grin
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Karlstrom Cessna 140

Recreating history, one re-kitted airplane at a time.
higgsbason
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 10:32:45 PM »

Hi javman,

I am unfamiliar with your plans but this is a great plane! I am drawing up my own plans from a detailed multi view for peanut scale. so I will be following your build with interest! Smiley Smiley Smiley

Mike

Some pictures for reference, (note pic#2 this is the only 140 I have seen with horizontal lines on the vents!
Re: Karlstrom Cessna 140

no time for know it all amatures
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 10:37:19 AM »

The "grills" were added to keep birds from nesting in those nice protected and relatively warm openinigs.  I agree tho, the 140 is one to the nicer looking Cessna's.

Karlstrøm plans and drawings are really nice, and yes, Swedish.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
higgsbason
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 01:15:57 PM »

Interesting you mention that Pete! this cleaver guy decided to use removable vent covers instead!

Just for interest's sake, there is an ashtray on the dashboard of the 140! I did not know you can\could smoke in an airplane!

BTW picture #1 is a Cessna 140 floatplane!

Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 01:49:05 PM »

Nope.  That's a Citabria on floats.  Cessna 140's never came with landing lights in the nosebowl.

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
higgsbason
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 03:14:54 PM »

My bad! Embarrassed thanks for spotting that!

javman
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 11:51:13 AM »

Mickey, thanks for your interest, i have finally completed enough of the fuselage to photograph so pictures will be coming soo. I look forward to your build as well, hope you start a thread! Pit, thanks for confirming my suspicion on the language. I recalled working on a few Saabs back in my mechanic days, trying to read the warning stickers. Also noticed i put this darn thread in the wrong place as this airplane is obviously not a peanut. (1/20th scale i think.) Interesting also trying to cut standard 1/16" wood to metric sizes. side structure calls for 3 mm by 3 mm square wood. i managed 3 mm by 2 and a bit of change. oh well, it'll work. (i hope Roll Eyes.)

javman
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 08:10:17 PM »

Well here she goes, fuselage complete, minus landing gear andd noseblock. A bit tricky to build straight, as have been a lot of scale box and former jobs for me. Tongue I kept the paper on the top formers to strengthen them as they are quite thin and flimsy using the lighter wood.

higgsbason
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 12:40:33 AM »

Hey there javman,

Any new progress? It was a bit embarrassing by misidentifying the Cessna cowl... anyhow I’m glad you asked! I will start with the plans once I have completed my current build! No mistakes with the multi view drawing as a reference, it’s for the 2012 Vintage Old timer build-off at RC Groups!

Personally I would have removed the paper it is too heavy and not good as a reinforcement! If possible try to remove as much as you can with tweezers without damaging the structure!

Don’t be discouraged if it is a tiny bit skew just keep at it! Smiley

Mike   

aeronca57

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 01:33:38 PM »

C-140's all have horizontal cowl vent louvers.  They are permanent, rivited on.  As mentioned, the red and white plane in the picture is a Citabria, which doesn't have inlet louvers. 
higgsbason
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 05:29:39 PM »

Go ahead and rub it in some more… I had already acknowledged my mistake twice! Even ACC makes mistakes for instance putting a different vertical stabilizer and a cowl light on a C-140 and calling it a Citabria! : Lips sealed

javman
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 09:17:32 AM »

Hey there javman,

Any new progress? It was a bit embarrassing by misidentifying the Cessna cowl... anyhow I’m glad you asked! I will start with the plans once I have completed my current build! No mistakes with the multi view drawing as a reference, it’s for the 2012 Vintage Old timer build-off at RC Groups!

Personally I would have removed the paper it is too heavy and not good as a reinforcement! If possible try to remove as much as you can with tweezers without damaging the structure!

Don’t be discouraged if it is a tiny bit skew just keep at it! Smiley

Mike

mike, i have finished the bones. per your guidance im going to go ahead and remove the paper, frame should be self supporting enough to take it. I am currently in the middle of moving. i'm in the military so periodically i've got to pack up shop and go where Uncle Sam wants me and my wife to go. hoping to be settled in a couple weeks. i want to have the cessna flight testing by then. i was able to find some color schemes where they kept the polished metal. much easier to duplicate with tissue. Grin

Ratz Edit: Fixed quote
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 02:35:57 PM by Ratz » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: