Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2021, 10:42:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: P30 DT  (Read 1425 times)
granddad
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2011, 05:18:34 PM »

Hi All,
Having spent a lifetime in R/C Gliding, I now find my interest increasing in things FF and in particular, P30. I have just had a few flights with a newly built model and it goes pretty well.    I have now been told that the pop-up stab won't bring the model down in a strong thermal and I should be using the wing pop off system.
Can some one tell me how to set up the wing mounting and DT method to achieve this.
Regards to all
John E  (granddad)
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 243

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 06:24:19 PM »

Hi John, Welcome to HPA and the free flight scene.  You picked a good model type to start out with.  P-30's are a lot of fun, and they provide some very good performance.
  Yes, a stab D/T won't help much in a boomer thermal.  Some people have gone to the point of putting a tilt wing and stab on, and found out the same thing happened, lost to that boomer thermal.
  A pop off wing.  I guess there are many ways to do this, and it all depends on what model you are flying.  If it is a pylon atop the fuselage, then try this link  http://www.smallflyingartsforum.com/YaBB.pl?num=1206660214/4
  It also depends on if you are using that fuse or a rotary timer or visious type.  But you can probably work out the same thing with those with a little creativity.
  I tried a pop-off wing D/T which used a fuse in the center of the wing with the wing hold down bands wrapped around the fuse.  Unfortunately the one time it did have enough time to D/T, it was only a few feet above the ground and the fuselage bounced off the ground and through the wing.  Some repair work, but I guess that is better than losing a model to the big boomer.
  I'm sure someone else can provide you much better ideas.  Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
granddad
Bronze Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 06:48:59 PM »

Hi Crashcaley,
Thanks for the response.   I'm afraid that fuse DT's are out through the summer in NZ due fire risk.
I would be looking for a mechanical release.   Silly putty or Tomy timer
Regards,
John E
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 132

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 08:41:58 PM »

Hey John,
Welcome to the WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)!  Silly Putty timers work some to most of the time, but are very temperature influenced.  Tomy's are reliable, but kinda bulky - with a weight penalty in small models.  I've taken to the rotary damper types that can be canabalized from old tape decks (the ones where the cassette cover swings open slowly), but now that entails dumpster diving or trips to yard sales plus the work to dig the tiny mechanism out of the deck and modifying it (and then getting rid of the junk that's left over).

Or, one can purchase the goodies new from various sources for very reasonable cost, one being Alan Cohen at Hobby Specialties.  IKARA and others offer similar gizmos, but I don't have the links handy.

Pete

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Pete R
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 07:41:25 AM »

All,
I mention that I have had very reliable results from using one of Dave Burley's electronic band burner timer hedevloped for the CLG/TLG trade. It's only half a gram more than a typical Ikara viscous timer and readilyavailable throgh Starlink-Flitetech. As an aside, By the time you add a timer, tracker, and T-hook it's getting downright difficult to get down to minimum weight on something that's durable enough for more than one contest.
So far, I have been lucky with the stab DT and want to avoid the extra drag of a pop off wing line out to one tip. Then there is the question of which tip to use, inboard or outboard of the desired turn direction.
Commnets?

Cheers!
Ding
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 11:27:30 PM »

My comments to Caley's pop-off wing DT are that they are good and really effective as the fuselage points straight down  as the wing whirls above like a helicopter.  I used that a lot in the 80's and 90's but had to make my vertical fin totally dorsal so it never got knocked off.  Sometime in the mid-90's Ernie Johnson introduced the pop-up wing. (John Kamla had his with the wing TE pop-up),  I kind of liked Ernie's idea as the wing served as a full flap air break and the empennage like the tail feathers of an arrow.

Ding
Ross J
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 02:07:42 AM »

Ding, the pop up wing was used on HLG in the late 1970's or early 1980's. I first saw it at the 1981 Nats in Texas. The "Quick One" P-30 published in Model Aviation in 1989 had a pop forward wing, a decade before Kamla's Marie.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: