Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 28, 2021, 03:44:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Square Eagle ready to go  (Read 1002 times)
Victor
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 18, 2011, 09:28:56 AM »

Here's a pic of my Square Eagle.  It weighed 54 grams with a 10 gram motor.  It turned out to be right on the money for the CG, so I didn't need to do anything to balance.   The wing isn't color coordinated because I didn't have enough of that Esaki pattern to redo the left outboard panel after it originally warped, when I shrunk the tissue without having it held down flat.  So I removed the tissue and recovered it with some Esaki Caley sent me.  I made a mistake with the wing, besides that - I didn't use a 1/16 x 1/8 spar in the outboard panels, like I was supposed do (I used 1/16" square), so they are more flimsy than they supposed to be.  But I decided, if the wing turned out flat, that I might as well use it until it breaks. And it did turn out flat.

I took it out this morning for the first trimming flights.  It only needed a piece of business card shim under the rear stab, and it has a really nice floating glide and a gentle right turn.  I'll figure out what that business card shim translates to in inches, and put a ply shim in its place.   I only got 3 test flights in before wind started coming up.  But I am happy that it seems to be a real nice flyer.  I have a gizmo geezer, and winder, coming any day now, so there wasn't any use in trimming the power phase, I just wanted to see how it would glide.  Now to get that stooge built, so I have something to hold the planes when the winder arrives.   And there is the blast tube, also...

Victor
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Square Eagle ready to go
Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 70

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 10:45:49 AM »

Very nice Victor! Your building gets better each time.
It was nice to meet you in Ingleside (I'm the guy that lent you the winder). I look forward to hearing about your flying exploits in the near future!

Tmat

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 11:14:41 AM »

Victor,
Your Square Eagle looks very nice. I bet it'll be a great flyer.
Dave Andreski

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
dosco
Platinum Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 11:36:35 AM »

Very nice Victor! Your building gets better each time.
It was nice to meet you in Ingleside (I'm the guy that lent you the winder). I look forward to hearing about your flying exploits in the near future!

Tmat

I'm sorry that I wasn't able to make the contest at Ingleside ... it's about a 45 minute drive from my house. My rocketry club launches there (although I haven't launched in a couple of years) so I'm familiar with the site.

Unlikely that I would have had anything to fly but it would have been interesting to meet some folks.
Victor
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 02:21:42 PM »

Tmat,
Hello!  Thanks for your help at Ingleside, it was a pleasure meeting you.  I hope to go back next year with a couple models that are all ready to go, as well as packing a lunch and prepared to spend the whole day.

Thanks, Dave, I'm hoping it will be a great flyer; it will be fun getting everything to work right.  I'm impressed by how well the kit design built out to a flying model.  I didn't have to do anything extra to balance it; I added a little shim to one side of the stab base, to give a slight stab tilt for a right turn, and figured that I might need to add a touch more negative incidence to the stab to make up for that, and I did.

It's interesting that the ON28 had you build in about 2 degrees of incidence at the wing, and had the stab flat on the fuse; the Square Eagle has the wing flat on the fuse, with the stab at about negative 2.4 degrees, from what I could calculate (looked to have a 1/8 inch drop over a 3" length).

I measured the business card shim, and it mic'd out to .019; I checked my 1/64 ply sheet, and although 1/64 should be around .015, it mic'd at .019, so that was a quick and easy shim swap.  I'll remember that for the future, using business card stock for temporary 1/64 shims.

I've used google maps to look for open areas around here where I can wind things up a little more... the junior college across the street has some smallish fields, all surrounded by tree lines, for wind breaks I guess.  So the biggest field has a clear diameter of about 600-700 feet.   Good enough for some calm air, low power flights, we'll see.    I'll probably go out there this afternoon, things are looking a little calmer again, and try a little bit more trimming.

Victor
dosco
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 03:27:53 PM »

I've used google maps to look for open areas around here where I can wind things up a little more... the junior college across the street has some smallish fields, all surrounded by tree lines, for wind breaks I guess.  So the biggest field has a clear diameter of about 600-700 feet.   Good enough for some calm air, low power flights, we'll see.    I'll probably go out there this afternoon, things are looking a little calmer again, and try a little bit more trimming.

Victor:
Are you in the Delaware/Maryland/Virginia area?

Victor
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 04:13:56 PM »

dosco,

Yes, northern VA area, Sterling.  Took the Eagle out again this afternoon, with my wife and grandson.  Had fun, got close to losing it.  I worked up to 500 winds, at 400 it wasn't going far.  But I think I had launched into a down draft at 400; it wasn't climbing well, seemed to mush around, then float nicely the last ten feet down.  When I tried 500 winds for the last flight of the afternoon, without the slight breeze that I had been flying in, it shot up, and kept going.  Ended up with just shy of a two minute flight, and luckily, after flying over the trees at the edge of the field, it came down in the field.  It was great watching it soar.  Clearly I don't have a good understanding of reading air yet; I didn't light the fuse, because at 400 winds it was only going around 30 seconds, and not getting much height at all.  Another thing that changed, on the last flight I didn't realize I had twisted the nose 180 degrees, so maybe there was a different thrust angle, which made a big difference.  And with the prop not freewheeling (at 6 strands of 1/8, it is a little tight between the hook and peg), I didn't think there would be a problem with it coming down.  But it sure floated nicely.  Lots of fun, and the model survived for another day.  Can't wait for the GG and trying full power flights (in a big field).

Victor
Re: Square Eagle ready to go
dosco
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 04:25:46 PM »

dosco,

Yes, northern VA area, Sterling.

Do you fly with the Maxecuters?

craig h
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 04:33:49 PM »

Once you catch the fever of free flight...there's no turning back...free flight forever!
 Congrads on you nice day of flying..they'll be more to come...it's a feeling of accomplishment..
Victor
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 09:16:35 PM »

dosco,
No, I'm new to free flight, and don't know anyone else in the hobby.  I've looked at the Maxecuter website, and see where they meet up near the beltway in MD.  I've thought about stopping by for one of the meetings. I see they have some indoor meets; not sure if they, or anyone else in this area, have any local places big enough to fly the endurance models.  Do you know of some sufficiently sized fields in this area, or clubs that have outdoor meets, besides the yearly Ingleside event?

Victor
Victor
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 10:00:14 PM »

craig,
You're right, I think it is quite fascinating.  I've circled back around to model planes several times, briefly, but never stayed with it because I never got things to work right. I've made a guillow WW2 small rubber model of a Skyhawk (didn't fly), a couple Peck Polymers Peanut scale planes (SE5, Pietenpol Air Camper), and while my building improved, nothing would fly, not even close to flying.  Three different R/C beginner planes, all flew poorly and crashed quickly. I never knew anyone who built model planes, so I never learned the basics.  All that time, I had no idea about the fundamentals of dynamically stable models. 

This time around, I was thinking about one of my happiest experiences with model planes, and it was a time when I was pretty young, and had a Sleek Streek, the 50 cent model (about 45 years ago) with landing gear.  I got that flying nicely, wound it up, and it ended up catching a thermal and became an OOS.  In remembering how exciting that was, I thought I would investigate free flight again, and my earlier efforts to build rubber models.

So I read Don Ross' book and realized I was starting wrong, and between that, and reading lots and lots of threads here, and with the help of HPA participants, I am learning a lot, and starting the right way (a stable beginner endurance model) instead of trying a biplane Peanut scale.  That was my initial attraction to P-30...after reading about the various free flight categories, I read that P-30 was meant to help beginners starting in free flight, so I thought that that was a good way to try again.  And I think I've discovered the fascination in these endurance type models.  There is a particular beauty in form following function, in contrast to scale models of real airplanes (not that scale models don't represent a beauty all of their own).  The pictures I've seen here of the Gollywocks, the old streamliner Wakefields, the French coupe anciens, are all quite beautiful and fascinating.  I look forward to being able to build and fly those types of models at some stage.  Meanwhile, I'm having an awful lot of fun with these P-30s.

Victor
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 11:15:29 PM »

Victor,
    Your model looks great.But that pic. of it flying says it all.I think I'll make a poster out of it.Just love it.  Grin   Bruce 
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 243

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 11:32:14 PM »

Victor,  I'm glad I found this thread.  Great looking model both in static display and in the air. 
  At 400 turns you are just in the low cruise mode, so you will eventually see as you go up in the number of turns, a significant performance change.  At the 500 turns you probably caught a mild thermal to get you your two minutes.  Congratulations for the max.  Be aware that once you cross 800 turns, you are going to see a great difference in climbout on the model.  You may very well need to make more thrustline adjustments to keep it from going left, which is death to a model, well, at least most. 
I flew my Majestyk this past wednesday at the club contest, and got about an 80 degree climbout for maybe 50 or so feet on 926 turns on the same rubber I sent you.  The rubber has a lot of torque.  I got a max, 2:36 on 946 turns, but botched the launch so that it only climbed out at about 45 degrees.  And my last flight was 2:26 on 956 turns with a climbout much the same as my first.  the last two, both caught very mild thermals, and I was certainly glad I used my D/T each flight.  I figure I can safely get 975 turns on the motor, and maybe 1000.  I haven't gotten up that high with this new rubber.
  You will only be able to use the small fields near your house for the early trimming flights, unless you set your D/T for almost immediate D/T after the model enters the glide.  You can tell when the prop starts free wheeling, so find out how much time you get on the motor run, and then set your D/T for 15-20 seconds later.  That may keep your model from flying out of sight over the trees.
  Great to hear you had a nice outting.  And I definitely like your little guy (fetchermite).  He did help you retrieve the model.   Smiley
  I'm glad you met TMat (Matt).  He's a great guy.  I met him in Lost Hills, California, where he spent time away from his models to teach me a little about glider trimming.  I knew someone there would lend you a winder.   Smiley
Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
dosco
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 07:44:14 AM »

No, I'm new to free flight, and don't know anyone else in the hobby.
Victor:
I'd suggest you give the Maxcuters a try ... I am not aware of any other FF clubs in the area. They have an outdoor site (I've never been there) that looks like it would work for P-30. Their indoor events at the National Building Museum are fun, and the NBM is an interesting place. I've flown there with my kids before. I didn't get a chance to go last year, hard to say if I'll go this year ... my oldest daughter plays indoor Field Hockey and it generally consumes the weekend.

There is a subgroup of guys in Maryland that are not Maxecuters ... not sure that will help because during the winter they focus on indoor. Not sure they fly FF in the warmer months.

I haven't flown any outdoor duration types in years, although I do have a P-30 kit in the pile and a broken Coupe that I would like to fix up. Not sure where I'd fly them, though ... there are a few large fields around where I live that might work. When I get my planes ready I'll ask the property owners if it's OK to fly.

I'm not far from Annapolis ... not much help to you regarding possible fields.

-Dave
Victor
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 10:12:54 AM »

Caley,
Congrats on those nice flights with the Majestyk.  I'm looking forward to building my Majestyk this fall and having it my best model yet, both in construction and performance.  There are several parks around here, and I'll check out the Maxecuters club and see if they have a nice outdoor field somewhere I can use to wring out my P-30s. Until I find something bigger, I'm limited to low power flights; but the positive side is the small site is just across the street.

Yes, my fetchermite had a lot of fun chasing the plane and watching it fly.   Here are a few more pics my wife took of our Friday adventure:

I'm going to have to come up with something he can throw around, that is fairly indestructable...maybe a foam glider or something.

Victor
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 243

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, 11:44:28 AM »

First of all, please pass to your wife that I think her photography is top notch.

Second, Keep pursuing trying to get in contact with others in your area, and especially a club.  They will be your best path to a local flying field.

Now, for your son, a glider.  Check out what Bill Kuhl, ScienceGuy, has done with foam and a few other inexpensive things.  http://www.scienceguy.org/Articles/HammerDownCatapultGlider.aspx.  His whole site is just amazing, and can hep you.  He lso posts here on HPA occasionally.  Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: