Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 28, 2021, 02:55:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mercury Midge  (Read 2820 times)
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 73

Canada Canada

Topic starter
MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« on: August 22, 2008, 11:56:36 PM »

Anyone ever fly a Mercury Midge?

I built this airplane from an original set of plans for my Novel .061 years ago but in a moment of weakness, I sold this plane and the Norvel .061 seperately and I now regret it. It was an interesting project and I'm sure it would have really ripped with that .061 in it. All that is left are these images.

Sundance12
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Mercury Midge
Mercury Midge

Resources and tools for scratch builders and plans builders.
www.northof49tech.com
greggles47
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 06:11:46 AM »

Sundance,

I built one for an ancient Taipan 1.5, but the engine was clapped & I haven't finished making a new piston yet (way too many projects!)

So It's still new and unflown. Should fly like a trainer.
Re: Mercury Midge

There must be some way out of here, said the joker to the thief,
There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 73

Canada Canada

Topic starter
MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 07:34:10 AM »

That's great Greggles, I thought I would have been the only one to partake in an unusual airplane. Like you I never flew it so missed out on the fun. I would consider another sometime.

Sundance12

Resources and tools for scratch builders and plans builders.
www.northof49tech.com
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 192

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 09:37:51 AM »

Sundance,

this is a bit late - however...

These were a fun racing class in vintage C/L with our NSW SAM group for years - only just been changed this year? to the phantom mite.

I have flown a friend's at about 70-75mph. Great fun just keep turning when the engine stops - not much mass there. I'm not sure what speed they finally got up to - well over 90mph in top hands and a light motor. Great little aircraft.

John
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 10:00:20 AM »

Hi there Sundance

Managed 71.something mph with a PAW powered Midge several years ago (much whipping up to speed it must be said) There was an article with suggestions in the 90/91 Aeromodeller that I followed. Still got the model (although it needed a repair usually after each flight - Midges don't land so much as arrive!) Tongue

Paul

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 280

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 10:17:09 AM »

Ah, memories of flying my Midge', with Allbon Javelin, on the school field on 1950. It felt fast to me, then ...... Grin
John
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 08:57:50 AM »

Built a Midge in the 60's with a PAW in it but never flew it, not sure what happened to the model but I still have the PAW and would love to build it again. Does anyone know if the plan is still available.

John
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 03:21:40 PM »

Dug it out and dusted it off for its photo call Cheesy

Originally fitted with a KK Supersonic spinner for added authenticity if not speed. Speaking of which I got the max. speed wrong (I painted it on the wing after repairs). Bellcrank is external and elevator is a piece of ali plate folded over a hinge of tyvek.

Flew on lt.wt. laystraight lines (none of your mono-lines here, no sir!) The companion model was a GloDebbil which had a SuperTiger .19 for power and looked the Bee's Knee's until an unfortunate fire in the fuel/engine area... much fun ensued. Shocked

I don't think I've still got the plan John - I'll have a rumage and see what I can find

John
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 07:24:56 AM »

This is a great forum. Already had replies to supply me with a Midge plan now all I have to do is build it, putting the PAW in it off course. Not sure if I will fly it as I have not flown C/L since the 60's. But just looking at the plan and building the model would certainly bring back some memories.

Once again thanks you guys.
John
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 02:20:35 PM »

Hi John - nice to hear you are going to dip a toe Wink

For anyone contemplating one there are a couple of suggestions I was given that I would endorse -

1) Make the sides of the fuz in either 16th ply or balsa/ply laminate; this should mean it lasts more than a couple of flights.

2) Double the area of the elevator. (See my model to get the idea)

3) Make the tailplane out of plywood (you will need some tailweight probably and it's better to build in some 'longevity' than add lead) Tongue

Mine weighs 86gms and survived trimming, comp. flights and learning to fly a 'speed' model so don't go too mad trying to pair the weight down on the first one...

Although my bellcrank is external an internal one may help the drag a little, but when the engine cuts it'll find the ground without any trouble. Do I need to say fly over grass? Roll Eyes

A good prop is the Graupner 6x6 (which is a little under pitched) and cutting down a 7x6 will give an alternative. To be honest I can't remember what I used on the timed runs; today I'd be looking at the APC's

Hope that helps
Paul

greggles47
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 07:45:30 PM »

Just found this thread on another site.

Replikit are producing a kit of the Midge.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1197574

greggles47
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 07:08:52 PM »

The Midge Plan is now in the plan Gallery.

greggles47
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 06:32:06 AM »

It was plainly time for a new one.

PAW 09 CT power.

PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 52

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 07:46:33 AM »

Well done that man! Nostalgia rules OK  Grin
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 280

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 09:51:01 AM »

Nostalgia indeed ..... about 63/64 years since I last flew one on the school field.  Blinding speed with an Allbon Javelin  ... or so it seemed
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 03:08:12 PM »

Great looking MIDGE Greg.  Should be quick on that particular PAW.   Please tell us what it does.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 07:44:42 PM »

Very nice Greg. Looks potent with the PAW.
Happy flying
John
greggles47
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 06:25:35 PM »

I got out to fly the Midge earlier this week.

A couple of things seemed very unlike a Midge. Firstly it took the javelin launch well, and settled into a steady flight. Secondly it didn't hang on the prop like a lot of Midges do, and thirdly it seemed "blindingly" fast. Well not really but somewhere around 70 -80 mph.

The landing was entirely Midge like, once the fan stopped, it resembled a grand piano which had suddenly found itself 20' off the ground. Landing control was not helped by the elevator coming adrift about half way through the flight. Seems the silk hinges became unhinged (a bit like the maker/flier).

Greg

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 12:31:49 AM »

The landing was entirely Midge like, once the fan stopped, it resembled a grand piano which had suddenly found itself 20' off the ground. Landing control was not helped by the elevator coming adrift about half way through the flight. Seems the silk hinges became unhinged (a bit like the maker/flier).

On the couple of times I flew one - it was Ian Avery's model, when the flight ended I stopped rotating. The most basic error you could make with a small model Grin
You better rehinge yourself with robarts or similar Greg. Grin
No ther damage I hope.
John
greggles47
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 06:20:49 AM »

John,

The only damage was the tailplane breaking off the fuselage. Now back on, but I haven't rehinged it. I'll probably use heavy guage silk thread to sew figure 8's to do the hinging.

I've used the sew method before with no failures. And will be easy to drill holes through the ply parts of the elvvator & tailplane.

Greg

riggercox
Nickel Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2014, 06:45:16 AM »

Hi there Sundance

Managed 71.something mph with a PAW powered Midge several years ago (much whipping up to speed it must be said) There was an article with suggestions in the 90/91 Aeromodeller that I followed. Still got the model (although it needed a repair usually after each flight - Midges don't land so much as arrive!) Tongue

Paul
Hello Paul,
i'm new member in this Forum from Italy, and i have buy from UK one kit of this Mercury Midge. I have to read that you have to see some informations about the build in the Aeromodeller Magazine of 1990/1991. Please, i search this number...? of Aeromodeller, and you can let me know the exact Month anf Year for i search in internet this magazine ?
Also if you have photos or articles about this model, i would be grateful, if you can send direct in the my email.

Thanks and Kind Regards
Giuseppe - Italy
email: [email protected]

greggles47
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 04:57:05 AM »

Giusseppe,

I don't have the article mentioned, but the Midge is a fairly simple build and should not present any problems to anyone who's built a couple of other models.

Things to note in the build.
1. Make sure the engine bearers and firewall are glued securely to eliminate any vibrations. These will rob you of power & speed.
2. Make sure the Wing & tailplane are properly aligned with 0 deg incidence. This will give you a better tracking model - again faster.
3. Build in plenty of strength - without too much extra weight - Midges have a habit of tumbling on landing.
4. Make sure the balance point is at least behind the leading edge. They have a tendency to be nose heavy, which works against speed & glide.

Good luck with your model

Greg

riggercox
Nickel Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 10:03:28 AM »

Giusseppe,

I don't have the article mentioned, but the Midge is a fairly simple build and should not present any problems to anyone who's built a couple of other models.

Things to note in the build.
1. Make sure the engine bearers and firewall are glued securely to eliminate any vibrations. These will rob you of power & speed.
2. Make sure the Wing & tailplane are properly aligned with 0 deg incidence. This will give you a better tracking model - again faster.
3. Build in plenty of strength - without too much extra weight - Midges have a habit of tumbling on landing.
4. Make sure the balance point is at least behind the leading edge. They have a tendency to be nose heavy, which works against speed & glide.

Good luck with your model

Greg

Hi Greg,
thank you very much for this you support and the advises, you is very kind.

Best Regards
Giuseppe - Italy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: