Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 03, 2022, 11:26:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wing Washouts, was Re: I'd like to make a confession  (Read 689 times)
Dan G.
OOS, November 2010
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2008, 01:55:03 AM »

And you know ... I've trimmed thousands of AMA Cubs and I'll still get that "one" over which I'll labour for the entire flying session. Usually, the problem is a difficult-to-detect wing-wash.

Dan G.

Dan Garsonnin CA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
Dan G.
OOS, November 2010
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 03:04:01 AM »

In fact Josh, wing-washes are the darndest thing to deal with and can be very confusing. If you've any questions ... you've but to ask.

Dan G.

JPRIZZ
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 06:05:44 PM »

Funny, I've always wondered if a 1/16 here or a 1/32 there REALLY mattered. Sounds like it really does.

Creator of Threads That Must Be Moved
Dan G.
OOS, November 2010
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 07:25:49 PM »

Often times, you can get away with small unwanted washes during normal flight -- it's during the extremes you'll find the detriment, probably an opposite roll just prior to a stall, when speed is at its lowest, or at the bottom of dive recovery when the speed is at its highest.

Dan G.

Michael J. Heinrich

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 07:28:10 PM »

Funny, I've always wondered if a 1/16 here or a 1/32 there REALLY mattered. Sounds like it really does.

Matters hugely, and--here's the kicker--it's inevitable.

One of my stump speeches goes: our models are relatively small, and built of light, fragile, flexy stuff that can deform, wrinkle, stick out/crack/warp and what-have-you, and no matter how carefully we build they will present a myriad of corners, dips, bumps, fuzzes and just oddball shapes to an uncaring air--and the air will go where it pleases. There'll be turbulence and boundary-layer separation, whorls and eddies, and if we're lucky there'll be enough lift to hold the model up. It's picking a path through the chaos, and we can't see what the air sees--only what the model does as a result of it.

So, that 1/16 here or 1/32 there, it's adding to the chaos--but if you find it, you decide if it's working or not, and correct when necessary.

Part of this discussion related to deliberate wing washout, a necessary thing, and some talk looks to have drifted off to other meanings; maybe here isn't the place to parse all that out. But to directly address your statement, Josh, yes each bit matters. So, control all the bits you can, as well as you can.

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: