Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 12, 2019, 04:41:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bostang B51  (Read 8543 times)
WDMelvin
Copper Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2012, 08:44:38 PM »

I'm back....found a red plastic picnic plate...so plunged molded two spinners for the Bostang....you never can tell when you'll need an extra spinner.  Shocked Roll Eyes  Made the prop shaft from .032 music wire and bent in the reverse "S" hook in one end...So just some last minutes trimming and attention to setting the prop pitch and we're ready to fly if the April showers will give me a break.

Here's the final pics till flying...

Tom

Tom, what dia did your pro wind up being?  Thanks
Bill
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »

Tom, what dia did your pro wind up being?  Thanks
Bill

Bill,
I assume your asking about the "prop" ... check out posts 47 and following shows my four blader prop in various angles....

A more detailed depiction of my build can be found here:  http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1333171678/30
Tom
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Bostang B51
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 06:20:52 PM by Sky9pilot » Logged

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/homepage-2
WDMelvin
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2013, 08:53:42 PM »

So you went the full 6 inches on the prop?
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2013, 08:07:50 PM »

To be honest...I don't remember the exact dimensions.  I was thinking it was 4.5 because it's a four bladed prop.  But it's still packed away so I can't give you the exact size.  Sorry.  Usually multi bladed props allow you to decrease the diameter of the prop. 

Tom

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
WDMelvin
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2013, 08:37:13 PM »

Close enough for me.  Thanks.
dorme
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2014, 08:24:06 AM »

Finished the Bostang after making a few changes in the construction and flew it yesterday.  It took a while to solve some problems but I can tell you it flew! And did it ever!  Wish I had a video of it, it was quite the hit at the meet in Glastonbury zooming over head.

Because of its design, make sure you have wash out in both wing tips, and there is enough down thrust and side thrust before you tinker with anything else.  It will need a decent motor of no less than 3/16's and a 7" prop (or at least a slight cut down of one which is what I had).  I had double 1/8 motor and was going to the ceiling on 500 winds!  And this with a model that weighs 25 gms!  I know, I got carried away with detailing it too much, but, hey, it flies!!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2014, 12:40:41 PM »

Love it! Grin
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2014, 09:30:54 PM »

dorme,

Never too much detail...only as much as you want!  Love the pilot.  That's gotta be the expression on his face after the flight you described!!!! Grin Wink Wink
Tom

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Switzerland Switzerland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2014, 03:27:09 AM »

dorme, I am happy that your Bostang flies well. Seeing this nice Bostang in the morning just made my day!
The whimsically pilot fits perfect to the machine Grin

May I ask you what changes in the construction you did? I am learning every day, and maybe I will add them to the plan.

I can confirm your statement about the power setting and trimming. It was not easy to trim the two Bostangs I built. But at the end, both flew nice and I was really pleased with them.
Last sunday I also took my Bostang to the field and had some great flights.

It will need a decent motor of no less than 3/16's and a 7" prop (or at least a slight cut down of one which is what I had).  I had double 1/8 motor and was going to the ceiling on 500 winds!
Hey, its a racer, they just need some power Grin It's the same with both of my Bostangs. They are climbing high with some nice gentle circles at the end of the power phase. Gliding is like a brick Roll Eyes

If you manage to take a vid or some photos, I would be happy to see them.
Thanks for sharing and have fun with it!

Best regards Roman

dorme
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2014, 10:53:57 AM »

Roman,
Thanks for the compliments.  Your plane had a lot of interest at the meet I went to this past Sunday.  Lots of photos taken!  I'm going to Washington,DC on the 26th and flying at the National Air and Space Museum, so a lot of people will see your plane.

As far as the changes, they were minor to the air frame, but helped in my construction.  I added small backup blocks of balsa to all the cracked longerons, moved the number 3 bulkhead back to the leading edge of the wing, removed the diagonal braces on the elevators and added a small straight 1/16" piece of balsa instead (prevents bowing and reduces weight), added balsa blocks to the main wheels support in the wing to have the gear leg doors rest on instead of tearing the tissue, made the radiator out of solid balsa and hogged it out (I think making it out 1/16" might make it lighter), changed the cockpit area windows and added small pieces to the front to attach (glue) the cellulose. I also made the nose piece for the prop button thicker and more stout as this area takes a lot of abuse in landing.  Made it 1/4" block for fitting inside fuse and then added 2 1/16" pieces in front. And added 1/8"wash out to both wings during construction.

For the future, I would make the longerons for the motor out of stout balsa, and all the rest of the fuse out of the lightest wood.  Even the turtle deck and its former's, I would make 1/32".  I made the wheels on my drill press and probably could make them even lighter.  The same for the spinner.  It came out at 6 gms (with prop) and after hogging out the interior, I got it down to 5 gms which actually worked out to just the weight needed for balance. All in all, if I could get it around 18 gms, I think it would  be a slower flyer, but it might not stand up to many crashes especially indoors. 

The result of 6 flights indoors was that the landing gear became loose and one of the gear doors came off.  I never did glue the stab/ele and it was tight enough in the slot and required only a slight adjustment from time to time.  The rudder was blown off numerous times in landing due to the kinetic energy going back to the tail from the nose (I've had this happen many times and seen it also in RC.  Plane hits on the nose and the tail falls off!)  I glued the rudder on by using fishing line (.020) into a balsa block on top of the fuse (my addition) between the turtle deck longerons and into the bottom of the rudder in 2 places.  Very easy to do and allows flexibility to the rudder in side hits with out breaking or coming off in general flight.  When it does, it is very easy to reglue.

The trimming is critical.  Have enough down and side (rt if going in left hand circles) thrust.  Start with that before anything else.  It was what I went back to when all the " experts" had put in their 2 cents.  I appreciate their help and they have saved my bacon more than once!  But sometimes you just have to go back to the basics and start there.  As in my medical training, when you hear the sound of hooves, don't think of zebras!  They may just have a cold!  I added a Gurney Gate to the right wing and a bit of clay also to help keep the right wing down in left turns.  Of course with a 1/4" motor and a cut down 7"prop, it was a rocket ship spiraling up in 30 ft circles!  What fun!

I've got the wheel centers drawn up in AutoCad and can give them to you to add to your drawing.  They can be simply printed on bond paper and glued to the balsa wheels.  Let me know.

Next is the P-40, Corsair, Spitfire, etc.....the list never ends and it's all fun.  As Oscar Wilde said, Seriousness is the last refuge of the shallow.
FFScott
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2014, 12:23:10 PM »

Make sure you go to the National Building Museum on the 26th; otherwise we won't get to see your Bostang.

Unforunately, mine still isn't done...
Scott
rgroener
Platinum Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2014, 02:27:24 PM »

dorme, thanks for your detailed explanation. I have to go through your changes in a quiet minute. At the moment I am quite busy at work.
I really would love to add your CAD wheel centers. If it is ok for you, I will add them to the plan.

You are absolutely right about the need of strong longerons on the fuse. On both Bostangs I had problems with broken longerons... Maybe also because the bending on the fuselage front is quite heavy. The front part of the fuse was sturdy enough for me, but as you sad, when flying indoor and kissing the wall from time to time, it might be a problem. Did you see my dive crash from Bostang #1 in post #50? It looks spectacular, but the damage was not that big...

The result of 6 flights indoors was that the landing gear became loose and one of the gear doors came off.
Wow, I would love to see it Rog... I never did it since I have no big indoor place to fly... I always remove the landing gear for flight Undecided

I never did glue the stab/ele and it was tight enough in the slot and required only a slight adjustment...
Good idea. I use just a tad of white glue. This way the rudder will pop away when hitting to hard. As you described...
I will try the technique with the slot next time.

... I added a Gurney Gate to the right wing and a bit of clay also to help keep the right wing down in left turns...
Thats interesting... you also had problems with the left side bank. It was my main problem on Bostang Nr.2. Quite a bit right thrust and a prop with less pitch cured it enough to fly. But the circles are still quite small...

But sometimes you just have to go back to the basics and start there.
Yep, I second that too. If you took the wrong way, there is nothing else to fix it than to go back and take an other way.

I've got the wheel centers drawn up in AutoCad and can give them to you to add to your drawing.  They can be simply printed on bond paper and glued to the balsa wheels.  Let me know.

I would be happy to add them to the plan. I will send you a PM with my email address.

Next is the P-40, Corsair, Spitfire, etc.....the list never ends and it's all fun.  As Oscar Wilde said, Seriousness is the last refuge of the shallow.
Looking forward to see them. My Hawker Boricane plan is on the way but not yet finished.... The mustang was ideal since it has a angled shape anyway. But the Hurricane has a lot of curves... The Me109 would also be a natural candidate to me Smiley

Make sure you go to the National Building Museum on the 26th; otherwise we won't get to see your Bostang.
I would love to... but its a bit far for just a short trip. At this time I will be skiing.... But if you manage some pictures, you would make my day again!

Unfortunately, mine still isn't done...Scott
You are also building a Bostang? Cheesy Dont forget to post some news on it!

Best regards and happy building and flying Roman

By the way... here is my Bostang vid from this sunday. Its quite bad, I dont think that hollywood will call me for a job... Undecided Anyway, the blurry grey thing is my Bostang Grin
This time I only had a short rubber loaded. Flight was with about 1000 turns.

http://s340.photobucket.com/user/rgroener/media/bostang.mp4.html

dorme
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2014, 03:31:23 PM »

In that video one can see the typical flight characteristics of the Bostang.  Short tight circles followed by a straight flight as power runs out and there isn't enough air over the rudder to make it turn anymore.  But it is still a hoot!
rgroener
Platinum Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2014, 01:49:23 AM »

dorme, the straight flight at the endo of the power phase isn't always there. I would say its 50% in my case. The other 50%, the circles are wider but still turns to the left side..

Roman
dorme
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2014, 09:35:58 AM »

Had a great time flying in Washington on Sunday.  The Bostang was well received and those watching it can attest to its flying ability.  I want to play a bit more with the motor for a longer duration, but the 7" prop cut down to 6" seems to have enough power.  My only concern flying indoors is that at the end of the motor run the plane flies straight ahead and into a wall or column.  A few more of those hits at that speed and it is going to be junk.  It has already broken the nose and bent the motor wire severely.  Also, I may change out the pattern of flying to the left and see if it improves by flying in a right hand turn.  One of my Bostonians definitely improved and climbed better in right hand turns over left (but I also changed downthrust and right thrust as well).
rgroener
Platinum Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2014, 11:44:19 AM »

dorme, thanks for your update. I will follow your Bostang trimming closely. I am happy that he did well at the weekend.
Walls are always unforgiving... I dont think that they like airplanes Tongue

Roman
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2014, 12:07:39 PM »

Don't be too hard on walls; they may be unforgiving, but at least they keep out other model aeroplane enemies such as wind and rain!  Cheesy
FFScott
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2014, 08:34:12 PM »

Here's a couple of pictures of his Bostang at NBM....

Scott
dorme
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2014, 08:51:43 PM »

Thanks, Scott, now if someone has any video of it flying.....
rgroener
Platinum Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2014, 03:12:57 PM »

Pete, you are right! At least the hard walls and the plane eating trees normally dont occur together...

Scott, thanks for posting the pictures. The pilot still seems to be happy in the Bostang. At least thats what I can read in his grin...

Would great to see a vid of it flying.

Roman
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: