Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 15, 2019, 11:01:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1/2A  (Read 5536 times)
Ron_P
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2012, 02:47:20 PM »

I could be mistaken, but most if not all classes or event minimum weights are in grams. I was a bit confused about the 1/2A, some told me 303mg well others had the same confusion. One ounce in grams comes up with an odd number. Since this class of models is in a transitional phase, a minimum weight of 300mg or .3gms would be less confusing. I don't mind the mixing of metric and non-metric if it works for those involved. Smiley
jakepF1D
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Topic starter
1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2012, 03:35:05 PM »

You need to remember that the event was created by Wally Miller.  He's been around....a few years.  Way back when it was all imperial all the time.  It isn't hard to do the conversion.  Just type" .01oz to grams" in a Google search and it will do the conversion for you.  I use Google to do all my metric conversions.
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 67

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2012, 12:01:15 AM »

Fred
It drives Leo crazy that I measure rubber in grams per inch.

Tell Leo that we are inching toward metrication!  Grin

Fred Rash

Fred!! Enough!!!
Derk
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 03:36:40 AM »

i started working in a machine shop, and all the imperial measuring threw me for loops at times, as most things in the rc world is in metric, with the exception of spans. then reading about indoor building its back to imperial thousandths but weighed in grams. similar mix for most rc models, they weigh in grams for smaller models but measure spans and areas in inches.
seems so intertwined that it will never be just one set of numbers on the ruler  Tongue
green-man
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

United Kingdom United Kingdom

One of my F1D VP propeller hubs - weight 104 mg.

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2013, 04:38:37 AM »

Re: Early VP's and using the shaft wire as the spring. Here's a pic of an original hub by Jeff Annis, as drawn and described in an NFFS Sympo Report from circa 1977. I believe that it was that article that pushed Bernie Hunt and Dave Pymm to develop the mechanisms that they used at West Baden in 1980.

Nick.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 1/2A
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 96

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2013, 04:40:03 PM »

Finally got around to making one of these. It's a little beefy at 350 mg, but the rolled tube is worth it. not as stable as advertised--it does a lot of helicoptering in the first 2 minutes of flight--but looks really nice with the prop turning much slower than it would on a ministick. Did 5:06 in my office with the new 7.5" flaring prop I made, and then it did 7:24 in the garage this morning (14' peaked roof), so I'm happy with it. I just wish that VP's were going to be allowed. It climbs for about 5 1/2 minutes...probably enough to make it to the top of Lakehurst.
jakepF1D
Gold Member

Topic starter
1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2013, 04:46:39 PM »

The last one I built is currently in pieces on top of a scoreboard, but it never helicoptered for me.  I had to use a couple degrees of downthrust, and the model did require a little backoff to accomplish that.  I also used a very light solid motor stick that bowed a little at launch torque.  The next one I build will use an even lighter stick so I can fly in our Cat 2 building without backoff.

Mine did 10 minutes in a Cat 2 building and 12 at Kibbie Dome.  I'm pretty sure with a little work they're capable of 11-12 minutes Cat 2 and 14+ at Kibbie Dome.
Olbill
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2013, 03:20:22 PM »

I'm looking for something to fly instead of F1L so this might be just the thing. I was considering ministick and may still go that route but the 1/2A is more appealing than the mini. And it's not that I think F1L is a bad class - it's just that every time I go to a big contest I either have a new problem or I have an old problem that I thought was fixed.

Jake - are there material limitations in the rules you use?
jakepF1D
Gold Member

Topic starter
1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2013, 05:57:48 PM »

I think the only restrictions are no VP props and no microfilm.  At this point the rules are somewhat informal, but nobody will complain if you use carbon fiber or boron.

Are you planning to make the trip to Kibbie again next year?  If you do you should have some good competition in this event.  I have a new model in process for the upcoming local indoor season, and several other WMC people are actively flying this event.
Olbill
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2013, 08:53:46 PM »

I hope to go to Kibbie next year as part of a geological sight seeing tour. Most of the trip we made from Portland to Kibbie went thru areas that were sculpted by the Glacial Lake Missoula floods that happened some 15,000 years ago. My wife is interested in all of the trip except the Kibbie part so I'm not sure how that's going to work out.
spacerod
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2013, 09:10:48 PM »

I'm not at all familiar with the 1/2A class being discussed. Can someone provide
information such as size; weight; covering  and other restrictions as they now exist??

Charlie Coeyman 
spacerod
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2013, 09:27:34 PM »

Sorry guys for jumping too soon.

Went back and read the begining  of this thread and
found the answers.     

Charlie
Maxout
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2013, 01:04:26 PM »

Jake, well I reckon my helicoptering must be because I don't believe in backing off. Wink

Bill, if you'll build one, I'll bring mine next time and put up a few flights. They are a bit fiddly, but really rather fun.

Page seven of this newsletter has the plan I used as a starting point: http://willamettemodelersclub.weebly.com/uploads/3/8/0/2/3802244/jan-feb2013patter.pdf
I find the prop to be a little small, but otherwise it's a solid design.
Olbill
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2013, 07:25:06 PM »

It would need a drooped boom.
dslusarc
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2013, 07:54:13 AM »

I can see why no VP but why no microfilm? The model has a minimum weight, wing area, and stab area restrictions. Microfilm was the heart and soul of indoor model aircraft for so long I find it sad when it get restricted in so many events. Any weight differential is so minimal due to the limited area in this class I don't understand why limit people to using mylar? I personally love microfilm, a sheet cost pennies and will cover probably 5 models this size. Anyhow this event reminds me of a event called Scraps we use to fly in Cleveland about 20 years ago but this event sounds better as you can make longer spans. Maybe we need a postal contest for the winter?

Don   
Maxout
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2013, 10:17:57 AM »

While I have zero desire to ever use microfilm again, I definitely don't have a problem with other folks using it.
Olbill
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2013, 12:44:10 PM »

Don
If you decide to do a postal I'll try to get one built.

I think the "no microfilm" rule is pretty much like the "no mylar" rule for A6. For people who like to think the less rules there are the better the event.
jakepF1D
Gold Member

Topic starter
1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2013, 04:04:01 PM »

I need to double check since the rules aren't formalized, but I thought they said no microfilm.  The reasoning is the same as the no microfilm rule for other events.  Theoretically it makes the event easier for beginners.  In reality I had to add a little ballast to reach the minimum with an OS film covered model, so I don't think microfilm offers any advantage.  I personally think it would be a big mistake to cover with microfilm for any Cat 1 or 2 flying because you need to scrub the ceiling.

I recently talked to Ed Berray, and the current plan is to run a 1/2A postal at the same time as the mini-stick postal.  I don't have dates or details, but it sounds like it should happen.
dslusarc
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2013, 07:47:31 PM »

In events with no weight limit I can see an advantage by the use of microfilm. But in weighed events it never made sense to me. Seems like there was an anti microfilm movement at one time when rules were being drafted Shocked If it is not allowed then so be it, it will not stop me from making one. 
dslusarc
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2013, 11:36:35 PM »

Well I drew up a plan for one and printed it out. Boy are these tiny!

Don
dslusarc
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2013, 04:38:20 PM »

Wing and stab for my 1/2A model.
dslusarc
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2013, 05:55:37 PM »

Had a little piece of Y2K2 left over so put it to good use.
dslusarc
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2014, 09:18:41 PM »

Getting close to finishing.
Maxout
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2014, 11:11:46 AM »

Looks nice. Of course the presence of Y2K2 biases me toward it anyway. Wink
dslusarc
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2014, 05:53:46 PM »

Here is today's update so far, stab gluing and prop blades formed. I will post some weights shortly. I feel like a giant holding this model as it is basically a half sized F1L.   
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: